What are the signs that my heat pump needs to be repaired?
If you think your air conditioner is not working as well as it should, don’t delay. A small problem that isn’t fixed quickly can lead to more costly repairs and possibly even a complete replacement of your heat pump.
- Air comes out hot: If your evaporator or vents are blowing hot air, check your thermostat first. Make sure it’s on cooling mode and set it lower than the current temperature of your home. If your vents and evaporator are still blowing hot air, a compressor problem or restricted airflow may be the problem.
- Reduced or insufficient airflow: Poor airflow can also be a sign that your heat pump isn’t working optimally and that a blockage is preventing air from flowing properly. This could be a clogged filter, a motor problem, or another problem that needs to be evaluated by a professional.
- Frequent cycling: Your heat pump should cycle through the cooling process regularly, regardless of the weather. While your cooling system may come on more frequently on warmer days, it should not turn on and off quickly and constantly. If you notice more frequent cycling, contact a professional right away. A simple tune-up may solve the problem.
- High humidity: Normally, your heat pump should regulate the humidity level automatically. During the summer, your humidity level should not exceed 55%. If your heat pump cannot maintain an acceptable humidity level, it may be best to call in a professional to find the problem.
- Your heat pump is leaking: The heat pump uses refrigerant (Freon) to cool your home. It may produce condensation when it is running. However, water should not be allowed to pool or seep into your home. If water is pooling or dripping on your floor, it is a sign that your cooling system is not working properly. This is a problem that should not be overlooked; a refrigerant leak can cause major damage.
- Bad odours: If you have bad odours coming from your heat pump, specifically from your evaporator, you need to fix this problem right away. By inspecting your heat pump, a technician will be able to see the problem. UV germicidal lights work wonders to eliminate the growth of mold and microbes (often responsible for bad odors). A good cleaning of the ducts and your indoor and outdoor units can also solve your odor problem.
- Unusual noises: Most heat pump models make little noise when they start up or operate. However, loud noises such as grinding, popping or buzzing can indicate a problem, such as a loose or defective part. This type of problem rarely goes away on its own; an air conditioning professional will be able to figure out what the problem is.
- Your electric bill is higher than usual: Notice an increase in your energy bill even though you haven’t changed your cooling or heating habits? This could mean that your heat pump is having to compensate and work harder to do its job properly. This usually means that your heat pump is defective.
- Frost forms on the outdoor unit: If you notice frost and ice on your ducts and outdoor unit, it’s likely that your refrigerant is leaking. Only a professional refrigeration technician will be able to find the leak, seal it, repair it and recharge the fluid according to the manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Your heat pump is over 15 years old: The typical life expectancy of a well-maintained heat pump is 10 to 15 years. If your heat pump exceeds the venerable age of 15 years, its performance may be affected, and it is more likely to stop working at any time.
Can you repair all types and models of heat pumps?
Our technicians are trained to perform all types of repairs on most major brands (Carrier, Fujitsu, Gree, Payne, Toshiba-Carrier, etc) and models of heat pumps.
Why choose Tran Climatisation to repair your heat pump?
- Quality work: Rest assured that each Tran Climatisation technician has all the qualifications and expertise necessary to perform all kinds of repairs in a professional, precise and fast manner. We make sure that each technician is trained according to the highest standards in the industry.
- Repairs for most heat pump models on the market: Even if you bought your heat pump elsewhere, we can repair it. All of our technicians are trained by the manufacturers to perform any type of repair on most air conditioning models on the market.
- Impeccable work site: Many contractors have a bad habit of leaving their work site in bad shape. At Tran Climatisation, our technicians make sure to leave their work site spotless, without leaving any material or debris.
- 24/7 Emergency repair service: If you find yourself facing an unexpected problem outside of our business hours, you can call on our 24-hour emergency repair service. We will immediately send a technician to your home to quickly resolve your problem.
If you have any questions about our heat pump repair service, our pricing, or if you would like a quote, please contact us. Our experienced team will be happy to provide you with all the information you need.